Another year, another resolution. What is it this year? What are you hoping to change to make 2022 the best year yet?
It’s no secret that keeping your new year’s resolution is a challenge. A study showed that of the people who make a resolution for the new year, only 64% stick through it through the month of January, and by June, only 46% of those who made a resolution are still keeping it.
It’s safe to say that we would all love to be a part of those percentages above and not the group that fails and gives up.
But how? Here are some of our favorite tricks on how you can get yourself prepped and ready for a new year’s resolution that will last all year long, and hopefully become a part of your permanent future.
- Don’t just wing it. Plan in advance by doing things such as writing your goal down somewhere that you’ll see it every day, making a list of what you need to do to reach that goal, and confronting the things that may get in the way of you achieving your goals.
- Choose a new resolution. If you’ve tried the same one for the past few years and it isn’t working, maybe try a new approach.
- Baby steps. Don’t expect overnight success. This will take time and effort and will happen one step at a time.
- Don’t let mistakes ruin your goals. If you fall off the horse, don’t give up entirely. Just get back up and keep going.
- Focus on just one resolution. Don’t overwhelm yourself with too many changes at once. Focus on one primary thing and see how that goes.
- Choose a specific goal. Instead of saying something like “I want to lose weight,” get more specific. How much weight do you want to lose? This allows you to make plans and measure results.
- Get a support system. Everything is better and easier when you’ve got a squad to help you through it. Reach out to friends and family to support you on your journey to a new you.
While these tips are all great and are ones we use every year, there is one major shift that needs to happen before you can expect your resolution to shift and that shift happens in your mind.
Visualize Your Future
Maybe your 2022 new year’s resolution is to lose weight. Maybe it’s to eat healthier. Maybe it’s to get that promotion. Maybe it’s to quit your job and start all over with something new.
Whatever your new year’s resolution is, the best way to get yourself there is by envisioning that you have already achieved it.
Imagine how your life would look if you lost that weight. Imagine how it would look if you were eating healthy. Imagine how it would look if you got that job. Imagine how it would look if you were living the life you wanted.
Instead of sitting and waiting for it to happen, start visualizing it now.
And take those visualizations a step further.
Start dressing like the person you want to become in 2022. Start walking like her, talking like her, listening to the music she listens to, eating what she eats, doing the activities she does. The more you work to embody this idea of a “new you” in multiple aspects of your life, the better your chances are of becoming this person who has the life you want.
And that person is you!